Monday, January 2, 2017

Lets talk

So, today I thought I would write about something that affects me daily: dysphoria.

As a trans* person, I often find that I experience dysphoria in regards to my chest, my period, and my voice. I may not be a trans-man, but I do fall under the trans flag because I do not feel female often enough to own the label "woman" despite being assigned female at birth. I'm still in the process of figuring out what exactly I am, but I have the rest of my life to develop my identity. At the moment I am swinging between genderqueer and gender-fluid, but I am considering the term non-binary.

Anywho, that tangent was besides the point. I'm here to talk about the things about my body that can tear me down. One thing is my chest. I may only have A cups, but they are large enough that wearing a well-fitted shirt leads others to assume that I am female. Of course, half of the time I don't mind, but the other half, hearing people call me "she" and "miss" hurts. I know that it shouldn't, that I should be confident enough in my own identity, but hearing those words reminds me of the words my mom has told me as I've been exploring my gender: "You have what you have! God gave you boobs!" or "God made you a girl!"

And it hurts. It hurts to be reminded that I am not right.

Anyway, despite all the comments my mother makes, I have purchased a chest binder so that my chest is flatter when I wear it. The binder has really helped me out, and it's a safe way to flatten my chest without injuring myself.  So, coupled with my haircut, my flat chest allows me to walk around outside and have people call me "sir" and "man" and "he." And God, does it feel great.

Now, on to my period. That week is the worst. And I know what I go through is mild compared to other people who have a uterus, but it's just another reminder that I am a "girl." In fact, it's the ultimate reminder that I am biologically female. I feel uncomfortable, and I have to wear panties in place of my usual boxers, and it is just an overall unpleasant experience that I have learned to deal with. I don't like it, but I'm the only one that knows what goes on in my pants, so I will deal with it for as long as I have to.

My voice is the only thing about me that I still feel a lot of dysphoria about. My chest and my period I can get around, because I have found solutions and ways of thinking to combat the dysphoria. But my voice is the one thing I can't really change without hormones. While my voice is lower than most of my female friends, it is still high enough that people who first address me as "sir" will correct themselves upon hearing me speak. This always leaves me feeling disappointed and discouraged, which can lead to darker thoughts. I have an example.

Recently I went to Savers to find an interesting tie, and this woman - who was with her young son - asked me if I knew where a certain section was. I blurted out an awkward "I don't work here!" and the woman gave me a look and then walked away. As she passed me by, her son looked at me and told his mom "He looks like a boy but sounds like a girl." His words felt like a rock on my chest, and I went to the dressing room to compose myself. I didn't cry or anything, but I had to calm myself down because all those dark feelings were bubbling up. I know that my reaction was an overreaction, but it reminded me that my voice will never get deeper without the help of hormones. The only time the opposite of this happened was when I had to call my cell provider to work out an issue with my phone. The guy on the phone called me sir until he pulled up my information and then apologized. Even though he corrected himself, I was ecstatic because it was the first time that had happened, and it made me happy.

 There are only three people who know that I feel these things, and only one of them knows everything. But now I suppose whoever reads this knows too. I didn't want to get too much into the actual feelings so much as the cause of them, because those feelings are dark and I can't shake them when I write about them. And, seeing as how it's getting late as I write this, I wouldn't have emotional support, and I don't want to go to bed thinking all those awful things. So, that may be a post for another day. Or maybe it won't. I haven't decided if I want to share them with the internet, even if only like two people still read this blog.

So, that was me, talking about myself like the little weirdo I am. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Ari. I love you and will always support you in every way that I can. I will always make myself available to you if you want or need to talk to someone, and I will always do my best to be there for you to listen and to do anything for you that you need or ask me to do. I am so proud of you, and it is a privilege to be your friend. Keep your head up :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank YOU Jen. Thank you for all the support and love you have given me over the years. You have helped me in ways you may never know.

      p.s. I'm sorry this reply is so late, I'm horrible at checking this blog.

      Delete